The mouthwatering combination of savory bites of smoky barbecue chicken and a fluffy sweet potato make Baked BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes a delicious yet simple weeknight meal.
Hey there Kenarry Readers! Trish here with a scrumptious recipe that my family absolutely loves. Imagine a baked sweet potato that is slightly crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Then imagine stuffing that perfectly baked sweet potato with bite size pieces of barbecue sauce covered chicken and topping it with melted cheese. Is your mouth watering yet? (Because mine is!)
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Before you jump to the end of this post to print out this savory recipe for BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes check out the tips below!
PREPARATION & SUBSTITUTION TIPS
Cut down the prep Time
To speed up the preparation time use a store-bought rotisserie chicken or cook chicken breasts ahead of time.
Make Your Own BBQ Sauce
If you do not have a favorite store brand barbecue sauce, try making your own. Annie shared a sweet and smoky homemade recipe in her post titled 13 Savory Cookout Recipe Ideas for Your Next Party that sounds delicious.
Meal Plan For Lunch
Make extra Baked BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes to enjoy later. According to my husband, this tasty favorite requires just 3 1/2 minutes in the office microwave to enjoy a steamy delicious meal on day two.
How to Make it Vegetarian
Make this savory meal vegetarian by replacing the chicken with chili beans but do not skip the barbecue sauce. These stuffed sweet potatoes taste just as great with chili beans as it does chicken.
Use White potato instead
If sweet potatoes aren’t quite your flavor try this recipe with simple white baking potatoes. But be sure to prepare the potatoes the same way by using olive oil and salt on the outside to create the same crispy skin.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
KITCHEN SUPPLIES NEEDED:
- Aluminum Foil
- Cooking Spray
- Baking Sheet
- Medium Size Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Cheese Grater
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Baking size Sweet Potatoes
- Chicken Breasts (or a ready to eat rotisserie chicken)
- Barbecue Sauce, divided
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Coarse Salt
- Green Onions or Red Onions, optional
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large baking size Sweet Potatoes
- 3-4 cooked Chicken Breasts, cubed
- 2 cups Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded & divided
- 3 tbs Olive Oil
- Coarse Salt
- Green (or Red) Onions optional
- Clean the outside of the sweet potatoes then prick them a few times with a fork and rub each potato with olive oil before placing them on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle coarse salt over the potatoes then place the pan in the oven for 35-40 minutes. When the potatoes pass the fork (or knife) test remove the pan from the oven.
- While the potatoes are baking prepare the chicken by cutting it in to cubes. Add the cubed cooked chicken, 3/4 cup of the cheese and 1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce to a mixing bowl then use a spoon to lightly toss the chicken until it is covered in sauce.
- When the potatoes are done slice them lengthwise and drizzle a little BBQ sauce over the potatoes. Next, stuff each potato with the prepared chicken then sprinkle about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese over each potato before returning the pan to the oven to bake for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- After the sweet potatoes have been baked, stuffed and the cheese has melted drizzle an additional teaspoon of BBQ sauce over the melted cheese and sprinkle diced green onions or red onions onto each potato (if desired).
- Serve Warm.
If you enjoyed this simple recipe for BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes then you’ll enjoy these easy weeknight chicken recipes too.
You may also enjoy these simple chicken recipe ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –