Recycle Christmas Cards To Make Gift Tags
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
A quick and easy way to recycle Christmas cards to make gift tags that are shaped like Christmas ornaments! Not your ordinary gift tags!
Hello, Kenarry readers! I’m Pam from The Birch Cottage, and I’m back again this month sharing with you this quick and easy way to recycle Christmas cards to make gift tags.
But, these aren’t your ordinary Christmas gift tags. These upcycled Christmas card gift tags are made to look like Christmas ornaments! Now, how fun is that?!
I’m always looking for ways to recycle, reuse or repurpose old Christmas cards. I thought about making ornaments – done that. Thought about making garland – done that, too! And I even thought about making gift tags – which I’ve done a number of times.
Then, I thought, “What if I made Christmas gift tags that were shaped like Christmas ornaments?” Now, we’re talking!
How to recycle Christmas cards to make gift tags shaped like christmas ornaments
These ornament shaped gift tags really are the perfect way to recycle Christmas cards. So, save your cards (or buy them on clearance) and make these one-of-a-kind gift tags.
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
I made my ornament shaped Christmas gift tags from recycled Christmas cards using my Cricut Maker, but they could also be made using other cutting machines or using any shape. I even created a set of three Christmas ornament shapes that you can download and use as templates to cut out your gift tags.
- Cricut Maker, Cricut Explore Air 2, Cricut Joy or other cutting machine
- Cricut Light Grip Cutting Mat
- Cricut Fine Point Blade
If you are not using a Cricut to create your gift tags, you may also need:
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Christmas cards
- ornament templates for Cricut (you’ll find the templates I used in Cricut Access here or you can use/create your own)
- printable ornament templates
Tips for making your gift tags
Use your cricut
To make creating and cutting out these gift tags even easier and with perfect cut lines, use your Cricut cutting machine!
You can, of course, use Silhouette or your favorite cutting machine.
Use Cricut Access
Some of the images I used in the shared ornament template file (see the how-to card below) require you to subscribe to Cricut Access to use the images for free. Otherwise, you have to purchase the images. Subscribing will not only grant you access to over 100,000 images, but will help to fuel your creativity, too.
In case you’re curious, here are just some of the benefits of subscribing to Cricut Access:
- Unlimited use of all fonts for cutting & writing in every project (over 500 fonts)
- Get free economy shipping on all $50+ cricut.com orders
- Save on cricut.com purchases & subscriber-only exclusives
So, have I convinced you yet to subscribe to Cricut Access?
use recycled Christmas cards
This craft is a great way to upcycle or repurpose holiday cards. You can also purchase Christmas cards on clearance after Christmas at really great prices. So, save your old Christmas cards and use them to make these retro Christmas ornament shaped Christmas gift tags.
If you don’t have a Cricut or other cutting machine – no worries. You can still create cute gift tags. Simply use the printable template, cut out the shapes, and trace them onto the backs of your cards.
Or be creative and trace your own shapes onto the backs of the cards and then cut them out with scissors or a craft knife for more precision cutting.
Ornament Shaped Gift Tags from Recycled Christmas Cards
- Cricut cutting machine
- Cricut light grip mat
- Cricut fine tip blade
- 1 Christmas Card
- Open Cricut Design Space, start a new project and add the shapes/images you want to use to cut your gift tags. You can also use my shared project file (link below under Notes). Just know that membership to Cricut Access is required to use the template.
- Measure your Christmas card. Create a rectangle shape in Design Space to represent the card. This will help with sizing and placement of the shapes for cutting. For example, my card measured 5" wide by 7" tall. So, I created a rectangle that measured 5"x7" and placed my shapes on the rectangle so I could be sure to cut out the shapes exactly where I want them on the card.
- Once you have your shapes where you want them on the rectangle, hide the rectangle and attach the shapes together. This will preserve the placement of the shapes on your card. Then click on "Make It".
- Select 80 lb cardstock as your material type.
- Cut the Christmas card along the fold so that you have separated the front of the card from the back of the card. Place the card on the light grip mat and load into your machine.
- Press the Start (flashing Cricut) button when you're ready for your designs to cut.
- Unload the mat by pushing on the Load/Unload button.
- Remove the card and cutout ornament shaped gift tags from the mat.
- CLICK HERE to use my Christmas Ornament Templates in Cricut Design Space.
- Subscription to Cricut Access is required to use this template file.
Cool project, right? And isn’t this a great way to use, recycle or repurpose old Christmas cards? I really like using my Cricut to cut out these gift tags. The precision is just so meticulous that it makes even repurposed items look great!
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If you enjoyed learning how to make Christmas ornament shaped gift tags from recycled Christmas cards, you might also like these crafty ideas from The Birch Cottage:
Ideas for Repurposing Christmas Cards
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas Gift Tags
Microwave Baked Potato Bag Use & Care Tags
You may also enjoy these Christmas ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –