Slow cooker shredded chicken is an easy way to cook chicken for use in soups, casseroles, sandwiches, salads or other recipes.
Need a super-easy way to cook chicken for all your recipes? Learn how to make slow cooker shredded chicken in today’s blog post.
How to make slow cooker shredded chicken
It seems like nearly every recipe I make these days calls for cooked chicken of some sort. Preparing it allows me to make a huge batch at one time. I can either use the slow cooker shredded chicken immediately for that night’s dinner or freeze it for use in a recipe later.
It is so simple and easy to do — and because it starts with frozen chicken breasts, I don’t have to think about it in advance! I can just decide that morning to throw the chicken in my slow cooker or crockpot and let it cook all day.
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools Needed:
The entire recipe is in the printable card below. But first, here’s a quick list of what you will need from the store in order to make it.
In fact, you can use frozen chopped onion if you want to save time (and tears!).
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken: An Easy Way to Make Chicken
- 8 Frozen Chicken Breasts
- 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Lightly spray your slow cooker with cooking spray. Place frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Depending on the shape and size of the slow cooker, this can be a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. Just fit the chicken breasts as best you can. If the lid won’t close, come back and reposition the chicken breasts in an hour or two once the chicken has started to thaw.
- Put chicken bouillon in water and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir with a fork to dissolve the chicken bouillon in the water and create a chicken broth.
- Pour the chicken broth over the frozen chicken breasts. Top with the finely chopped onion and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for four hours. I find the longer you let it cook, the better it shreds.
- Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken.
The slow cooker shredded chicken is now ready to use in your favorite soups, casseroles, and other recipes whenever it calls for cooked chicken.
How much shredded chicken will this make?
Eight chicken breasts will make approximately 10 cups of cooked chicken.
How to Freeze cooked shredded chicken
I freeze any I’m not going to use that night for dinner. I typically divide the shredded chicken into 2 1/2 cup to 3 cup portions, vacuum seal and freeze it.
We love to use our FoodSaver V2240 to vacuum seal anything we’re going to freeze. That model is no longer available. The latest version is the FoodSaver V2244.
Suggested Recipe Ideas for Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
I’ve found that this is really foundational to many, many recipes. In addition to using chicken in soups, casseroles and other main dishes, here are some suggestions:
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches: Serve it on buns and top with barbecue sauce.
- Salad Topped with Chicken: Chill it, then toss it on a bed of lettuce along with cheese, carrots, tomatoes, and other vegetables to have a delicious salad for dinner.
- Chicken Salad: Mix it with mayonnaise, mustard, and spices to create a tasty chicken salad.
- Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts
- Easy Chicken Verde Enchiladas
What are your favorite ways to use shredded chicken? Please comment and share your ideas below.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here, be sure to check out these other Easy Dinner Ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Cheesy Chili Noodles: One Pot Dinner Idea
- Shredded Beef Recipe: Easy Slow Cooker Tacos
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup Loaded with Ham and More
- Crock Pot Low Carb BBQ Bourbon Kielbasa
Originally published February 2014. Updated March 2020.