Slow cooker shredded chicken is an easy way to cook chicken for use in soups, casseroles, sandwiches, salads or other recipes.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, we’ll make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are our own, derived from our personal experience.
It seems like nearly every recipe I make these days calls for cooked chicken of some sort. Preparing slow cooker shredded chicken allows me to make a huge batch at one time. I can either use the slow cooker shredded chicken immediately for that night’s dinner or freeze it for use in a recipe later. It is so simple and easy to do — and because it starts with frozen chicken breasts, I don’t have to think about it in advance! I can just decide that morning to throw the chicken in my slow cooker or crock pot and let it cook all day.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken: An Easy Way to Make Chicken
- 8 Frozen Chicken Breasts
- 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Lightly spray your slow cooker with cooking spray. Place frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Depending on the shape and size of the slow cooker, this can be a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. Just fit the chicken breasts as best you can. If the lid won't close, come back and reposition the chicken breasts in an hour or two once the chicken has started to thaw.
- Put chicken bouillon in water and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir with a fork to dissolve the chicken bouillon in the water and create a chicken broth.
- Pour the chicken broth over the frozen chicken breasts. Top with the finely chopped onion and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for four hours. I find the longer you let it cook, the better it shreds.
- Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken.
The slow cooker shredded chicken is now ready to use in your favorite soups, casseroles, and other recipes whenever it calls for cooked chicken.
Eight chicken breasts will make approximately 10 cups of cooked chicken. I freeze any of the slow cooker shredded chicken I’m not going to use that night for dinner. I typically divide the shredded chicken into 2 1/2 cup to 3 cup portions, vacuum seal and freeze it. We love to use our FoodSaver V2240 to vacuum seal anything we’re going to freeze. That model is no longer available. The latest version is the FoodSaver V2244.
Suggested Recipe Ideas for Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
I’ve found that slow cooker shredded chicken is really foundational to many, many recipes. In addition to using chicken in soups, casseroles and other main dishes, here are some suggestions:
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches: Serve the slow cooker shredded chicken on buns and top with barbecue sauce.
- Salad Topped with Chicken: Chill the slow cooker shredded chicken then toss it on a bed of lettuce along with cheese, carrots, tomatoes and other vegetables to have delicious salad for dinner.
- Chicken Salad: Mix the slow cooker shredded chicken with mayonnaise, mustard and spices to create a tasty chicken salad.
- Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts
- Easy Chicken Verde Enchiladas
What are your favorite ways to use shredded chicken? Please comment and share your ideas below.
And for more recipes where you can use shredded chicken check out these other Easy Dinner Ideas!