Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal muffins are a healthy treat or breakfast on the go that the whole family will love!
These are so easy to make, the kids can help. And they are perfect all year round. Read on to make them for yourself or your family.
Hi, my Kenarry friends! It’s Robin from A Home to Grow Old In, and I’m so happy to be back after a long summer break!
It’s fall, y’all, and that means apple season in our home. With 2 young boys, apple picking is something we look forward to each year, and we usually come home from the orchard with more apples than we know what to do with.
I’m always looking for creative ways to use them, like this apple cider donut bread recipe that I shared last year. Another family favorite is the baked apple pie oatmeal muffins recipe that I’m sharing with you today. They’re great because we eat them as both a healthy treat and breakfast on the go.
For another delicious make-ahead breakfast idea, try out Air Fryer Nutella Pop Tarts.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Easy Muffins You can make in just minutes
This is a super easy recipe that you can mix up in just a few minutes. I have the full recipe in the card at the bottom. But here is some more information about it that I’ve been asked.
Can you freeze the muffins?
They will last about 3 months in the freezer.
To thaw them, just put them in the refrigerator overnight.
Can you make this into a sweet bread?
Yes, this recipe can easily be transformed into a bread. Just pour the batter into a small bread pan instead of a muffin tin.
How to Make Apple Pie Oatmeal Muffins
Ask your kids to help you out, this is a fun one to make together.
- Brown sugar
- Coconut Oil
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Old-fashioned oats
- Baking Powder
Here’s how to make these super easy muffins. And the best part is they are made from scratch! No boxed mixes here.
1. Whisk the sugar and eggs together
First, you will whisk together the sugar and eggs until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add The Rest of the Ingredients
Then, add the oil, applesauce, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt (that’s everything except the oats, baking powder, and apples to keep it simple) and mix until combined. Stir in the remaining ingredients and pour into a muffin tin.
3. Bake the Muffins
They will bake for 30 minutes, and you’ll need to let them cool down for a few minutes before you remove them from the pan and eat them. Easy peasy, right?
We love these muffins because they have all the flavor of apple pie. Apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg…yum, but they’re a lot healthier. They also keep you feeling full for a long time. If I have one for breakfast, I’m usually good until lunchtime.
Often, I double the recipe because I always love to have some on hand. When I do, I freeze half so that they’re available to eat anytime. If someone wants one and I haven’t made a batch recently, I will take one out of the freezer, pop it in the microwave for about 90 seconds, and it’s good to go.
Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
- Hand Whisk
- Rubber Spatula
- Muffin Tin
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil melted but allowed to cool off
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups milk I use skim milk, but you can use any milk including unsweetened almond milk.
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- generous dash of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 cup apples diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, applesauce, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt, and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the oats, baking powder, and apples.
- Pour the batter evenly into a lightly greased 12 cup muffin tin.
- Flatten the mixture with a spoon so that the oats are covered by the liquid part of the mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.
A few tips for making the Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal Muffins recipe:
- A good 12 cup muffin tin is essential. I’ve had this one for years, and I love it.
- This apple slicer/corer makes cutting up apples a breeze. We use also use ours to cut apples into chips that we dip into peanut butter as a snack.
- The muffin batter has more liquid than a typical muffin recipe. Don’t let that worry you, the oats will absorb it while they cook.
- Once your muffins have cooled slightly, run a plastic knife around the edges to loosen them, and they should remove from the pan easily.
Another great thing about making these is that your home will smell so good for the entire day. It will smell like you just took an apple pie out of the oven. You can’t get much more “fall” than that!
Looking for more recipe ideas? You may also like:
More Dessert Ideas
Here are some more fun dessert ideas you can make with your kids.
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Easy S’Mores Cake
- Blueberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No-Bake Granola Bars: Easy Back to School Snack
- Gingerbread Cupcakes: Easy Dessert Recipe
Originally published October 2017. Updated October 2018.